Saturday, August 13, 2011

Healthier

Over the past couple of months, I've lost 16.2 pounds.

The main reason behind my weight loss is Weight Watchers. I had been planning to rejoin for months, and finally I just bit the bullet. My dear friend, Renee, has lost over 100 pounds on Weight Watchers and by becoming a Zumba fanatic, and she's a huge inspiration to me. In fact, she's my Weight Watchers leader now. (She's also my Zumba teacher, but that's a post for another day.)

I've also curbed a lot of my unhealthy behaviors. For instance, instead of laying on the couch day after day, I'm going to the gym or taking Zumba several days a week. I try to play with Piper more, although our walks have been limited because of the heat. Instead of snacking, I try to focus on something else, like reading, crafting or even cooking a healthy and elaborate meal that will take a while and keep my mind away from chocolate chip cookies.

Now, don't get me wrong - I certainly indulge. I'm just trying to be smarter about it. And I've come up with quite a few tricks of my own to help me along.

For instance, John and I love water ice. At Rita's, there is usually a small selection of their sugar-free variety. It is just as delicious as the regular water ice, save for the fact that there aren't as many flavors. Luckily, they always have sugar-free cherry, and cherry is my favorite, anyway. I get a kid's size cup - a feat in and of itself, because I was never a small-portion girl - and I also eat it with a sample spoon. Aside from the fact that the employee serving me usually thinks this is weird, I love doing this - it makes me eat the water ice so much slower and savor it, and by the time John is finished his regular size cup, I'm just about finishing my kid's cup.

Another thing I've been trying to do is just not keep my weaknesses in the house. And if I'm baking something, I give away any leftovers or make sure John eats them pronto. I have willpower (I suppose that's obvious), but I don't always have that much willpower. If the temptation isn't there, I'm much better off. This goes for mealtimes, too. If I'm making dinner for John and I, I have usually not been making enough for leftovers because I will undoubtedly end up eating much more than I should for one meal. In this way, I portion out my plate and John's plate, and there is nothing left for me to eat afterwards.


Of course, I love to cook, and honestly this makes things so, so much easier. I can't imagine how difficult it is to eat healthy if you hate the kitchen. I've been trying to incorporate a lot of vegetarian dishes into my weekly meals, too, like the above veggie wraps. (So delicious, and only 10 points for both - and they were large.) And since I like to cook and am halfway decent at it, I am finding creative ways to adapt tasty recipes to a lower cal version.

It's not always easy, and I've still got a long way to go. It's a rewarding experience, though. I feel better overall - not just in the I'm-fitting-in-my-clothes kind of way, but in the all around healthier, happier and more alert kind of way. My skin has been better, my headaches have curbed... I love junk food. I always will love junk food. But knowing how much better I feel without all that stuff in my system, it's certainly enough to keep me motivated.

I will reach goal and I will maintain my goal.

Well, at least until I get pregnant.

No comments:

Post a Comment