Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A Wonderful Engagement...


...between two wonderful people!

Breakfast and board games on Christmas Eve morning turned into a proposal for my dear friend, Jess! And naturally, with such a great guy as Matt doing the asking, she said yes. When I received the news via a (very) excited text message, my first thought was somewhere within the realm of "Ohmigosh! Engagement! Jess and Matt! Ohmigosh!" (Which, I believe, was kind of what I uttered to my mother-in-law, who I was sitting with.)

My second thought was, "I should bake them something!"

That something turned into engagement cupcakes - a natural choice for me, as I love baking cupcakes and don't care how many people tell me they're too trendy. They are trendy because they are adorable, delicious and endless in possibility! And for the record, I'm a longtime lover of cupcakes, before the trend took over the baking world.

So, back to those engagement cupcakes! I wanted them to have the essence of an engagement ring, all sparkly shiny, but I didn't want to decorate with anything inedible, as is my mantra. I started by melting some white chocolate and piping out "Congratulations Jess & Matt" in script, along with a dozen or so little rings. After it hardened, I used silver luster dust to give the chocolate an iridescent shine. The cupcakes themselves are the Best Birthday Cupcakes from "Cupcakes: From the Cake Mix Doctor" by Anne Byrn. The icing is my standby simple buttercream. I coated the bottom of the icing in metallic sprinkles before standing up the rings and words. After the icing firmed up a bit, I used more luster dust to add an overall shine.

Jess and Matt loved them, but honestly I don't think the pictures do them justice. You really can't get the whole sparkly shiny thing that was going on. Just trust me that the luster dust on the icing actually shined, very unlike it appears in these photos.



Jess and I met freshman year of college at Arcadia University, living one floor apart in our dorm. We lived together for the next three years, and now we can call ourselves neighbors (sort of), as we only live about 10 minutes away. She was a bridesmaid in my wedding last August, and to make her engagement even more exciting (for me), she asked me to be a bridesmaid, too!

And in case you couldn't tell, I'm pretty excited about it all.

Happy Engagement, Jess and Matt!

No comments:

Post a Comment